Jeffrey DeVoesick focuses his legal practice in the areas of business acquisitions and divestitures, taxation, real estate, commercial finance, and closely-held and emerging businesses. He represents clients of all sizes and structures, and works with them on a variety of commercial and corporate transactions and matters, ranging from acquisitions, sales, mergers and financing to corporate governance, executive/employee compensation, and shareholder rights.
For nearly twenty years, Jeff has been advising private companies and their owners regarding estate and succession planning. His experience includes structuring and implementing sophisticated estate planning strategies, including GRATs, dynasty trusts, sales to grantor trusts, family limited partnerships, LLC’s and family foundations.
Jeff earned an advanced law degree in taxation from New York University School of Law, the top tax program in the world. His expertise in taxation provides invaluable insight allowing him to work closely with with his clients’ accountants and other advisors on issues involving choice of entity, transaction structure, wealth preservation planning, and estate and business succession planning.
A few highlights of Jeff’s legal career involve the following:
- Represented the purchaser of a $250 million dollar multi-family residential portfolio from a publicly traded REIT.
- Represented the sponsor/purchaser of a $30 plus million dollar multi-family residential project involving numerous investors using tax-deferred like-kind exchange funds to buy fractional ownership interests utilizing a Delaware statutory trust.
- Represented taxpayers on numerous Section 1031 like-kind exchanges, both forward and reverse, of both real and personal property, including airplanes and heavy equipment.
- Represented numerous buyers and sellers of manufacturing and other ongoing businesses.
- Represented the sellers and senior management on the sale of a manufacturing company to a European publicly traded company, which included both US and European operations.
- Served as General Counsel and Executive VP of Administration of a technology and software startup which involved venture capital funding of over $10 million.
Jeff is a member of the New York State and Monroe County Bar Associations. In addition, he is a past chair of the Executive Council of the Monroe County Bar Association’s Trusts and Estates Section and a former Rochester Emerging Bar Leader. Jeff was a recipient of the Daily Record’s 2016 Attorney of the Year Award.